Sunday, March 28, 2010

What's that supposed to mean?




Quote from He's just not that into you
Mary: He MySpaced me.
Nathan: Ouch!
Mary: Oh.
Joshua: Oh girl I don't know about that... My trampy little sister says MySpace is the new booty call.

Don't let todays technology disconnect you from the community. Sending a text message is about 10 times easier than actually picking up the phone. Remember those days when someone would call you and you were not home and they would leave a message or perhaps physically stop by for a visit? Now we have technologies like call waiting, caller ID, texting, email, facebook and IM to improving so it seems are ways of communication with each other. However, because of all these forms of communications comes all the variables with can hinder the interpretation of a virtual conversation.
When we talk face to face with someone, we are getting so many physical cues as to the true meaning behind what they are saying, you can hear their tone and dynamics of their voice carry out a phrase like , " I love you" or " your a jerk sometimes"
Our excessive dependance on cellphones has created a handicap in regards to our experience of community and interaction with each other. Our sense of feeling can go out the window and totally out of register when reading a tone absent text. How we react depends entirely on what we assume we should feel.
I once had a friend text me the lyrics to a song, which read, " Just when I think I am not strong enough, you reach out and you lift me up" however, I was unaware that these where meant to be textually "sung" or that these were just lyrics. I assumed that these were words of flattery and was well quite flattered. When I in turn responded with an appropriate ," awe thanks" I received back a very awkward," huh?" These were lyrics to a Christian song about how God lifting a man up through times of trial. How was I supposed to know. If this was in person I might have picked up on the tune when they were sung or from his body language that would have made it clear that he was not flirting with me, but do to the cellphone text this wonderfully awkward moment was made possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment