Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 3

I laughed when I saw this, because I find myself saying, "Aw this sucks" when i'm doing my own work. This caricature is comical yet ironic with its use of line on the figure and the line used to for the bird drawing. This is one of those drawings that I can imagine a young child drawing. The drawing marks, proportions and scale are not really taken into a realistic style. The way the tree is treated is very childlike, you see the pointed roots and the quick use of line for bark and squared off tree branches. The cloud and bird are also childlike, of course the big puffy clouds that every child draws. You see the connected triangles for a bird beak which is also a childlike detail. The part of this sketch that really caught my eye was the realistic drawing of the bird, because it really adds that ironic characteristics to the piece. Your eye is drawn to the thought bubble and then you see this very sophisticated drawing that does not fit this style of drawing. In the article last week it talked about characterizing cartoons and how it disassembles each aspect of them how some consist of morals and narratives. The essay even mentioned children's books which I feel this piece goes along with, minus the content of the thought bubble. Looking at this piece you begin to take apart each aspect of the drawing and try to understand what the artists thought process as to why they chose these certain marks and lines. Over all I find it to be an interesting piece very clever sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. I think this has a really nice play on the aspects of art and how people differentiate true beauty these days.

    ReplyDelete